Saturday, April 9, 2011
Eder Park, Howard Street
Join Elkton Little League as they kick off the 2011 baseball/softball season with their Annual Opening Day Parade.
Vintage Baseball Weekend
Saturday, April 9, 2011 - Sunday, April 10, 2011
Terrapin Station Winery, 80 Ricketts Mill Road
On Sunday, watch the Diamond State BBC of Delaware take on the Elkton Eclipse. Sunday come out and see a double header as the Dauntless BBC of Havre de Grace take on the Cecil Base Ball Club of Chesapeake City followed by the Athletic BBC vs. Cecil Base Ball Club of Chesapeake City. Ball games will be played at Terrapin Winery on the field near their tasting room building
Monthly Business Luncheon (Tuesday)
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Union Hospital 1st Floor Meeting Room, 106 Bow Street
Dr. Jorge Uribe, a local Gastroenterologist, will be our featured speaker. Dr. Uribe will be presenting a program on Digestive Health which will focus on
warning signs/signals that alert patients to seek a physician’s care.
$12.00 per person/$15.00 per non-member.
Please R.S.V.P. by April 8th if you are planning on attending.
Looking for Mentors for Middle Schoolers
Dates, Times, & Location Varies Based on the School Chosen
The AIM (Academic Intervention for Middlers) High Dropout Prevention Program is looking for business people to help guide a population of at-risk students in grades 6, 7, & 8 reach their goals and lead productive lives. The strategic goals for the program are to increase student understanding of the importance of completing high school with a Maryland diploma and decrease the dropout rate. A school counselor teaches the curriculum and the business volunteers will help with worksheets and when possible shares experiences related to the topic of the day. The mentor does not have to be at every session because we try to recruit 3 or 4 per grade almost ensuring that a business rep will be present at every session.
Mentors are asked to join the 6th grade program group and if possible continue with that group through 7th and 8th grade. Mentors are needed at each Middle School in the Cecil County Public School System.
The program is designed to have a business representative participate in a minimum of 3 of the 8 sessions. Ideally, there will be 3 to 5 mentors for each grade level to insure that there will be a business representative participating every week. The maximum commitment is participation in each of the 8 sessions to help foster a meaningful and supportive relationship with the group members. For more information please contact Kathy Kunda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books Are Fun Book Fair
Thursday, April 14, 2011 9 AM - 4 PM
Friday, April 15, 2011 7 AM - 3 PM
Union Hospital Meeting Room 1,2, & 3,
106 Bow Street
Come enjoy the Books Are Fun book fair held at: Union Hospital ,Meeting Rooms 1-2-3 April 14th from 9am-4pm and April 15th from 7am-3pm GREAT EASTER GIFTS! Come visit the New Books Are Fun Book Fair in the convenience of your workplace. With over 250 great titles at unbelievable prices, you are sure to find something for everyone on your list! Product categories include: Children's Story Books, Cookbooks, General Interest Books, New York Times Best Sellers,Stationery & Scrapbooking, Music Collections, Gifts for all ages, Early Learning Products,and Children's Educational Products.First run, top quality products from the world's leading publishers:Time Life, Simon & Schuster, Dorling Kindersley, Harper-Collins, Penguin, Random House,Reader's Digest, Rodale, Disney, Publication's International, Thomas Nelson, Peachtree Publishing and many more!
British Invasion Car Show
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Historic Elk Landing, 590 Landing Lane
Observe the British invasion of 1813 in a different way with a fun invasion this coming April as The Landing welcomes the inaugural British Invasion Car Show, featuring all sorts of vehicles from across the pond. Check out all the models from the recent past. Admission is free.
YMCA's Healthy Kids Day
Saturday, Apr. 16, 2011
9 AM- 12 PM
25 YMCA Boulevard
Find out ways to improve your children's and your family's lifestyles and habits. Healthy Kids Day provides kids and families with information on how to be healthier in all aspects of their lives. For the YMCA, good health involves the spirit, mind and body. A “healthy kid” not only eats right, exercises and avoids unhealthy substances like tobacco and alcohol but also demonstrates values such as caring for others and taking responsibility for improving the environment. Join the YMCA of Cecil County and YMCA's across the country as they celebrate Healthy Kids Day with our community. FREE games & prizes for all! Everyone is welcome. 11AM-12PM Kid Power Health & Fitness Workshop with Mr. Josh Hayhurts of ATA Martial Arts. Attendees are educated on Fun Fitness Activities and Powerful Exercises, Health and Nutrition, The Mental Strategies to be Successful, Attendees are positively encourage to become fit and eat healthier in a cool and fun way.
Vintage Base Ball Double Header
Sunday, Apr. 17
Terrapin Station WInery, 80 Ricketts Mill Road
Base Ball games will be played at Terrapin Winery on the field near their tasting room building. Watch the Flemington Neshanock take on the Elkton Eclipse followed by the Potomac Nine of Washington vs. Elkton Eclipse.
National Healthcare Decisions Day Open House
Monday, Apr. 18
11 AM - 2 PM
Northern Chesapeake Hospice Foundation, 229 East Main Street
Northern Chesapeake Hospice Foundation will hold an open house from 11-2. at 229 E. Main Street in Elkton. Information on advance directives will be available. Professionals will be on hand to answer questions. Advance directives tell healthcare professionals who you designate to make medical decisions if you are unable, as well as the type of care you would like to have. 410-392-0254, 888-892-6685
Elkton Little League Golf Tournament
Friday, Apr. 22, 2011
Club at Patriots Glen
Elkton Little League Golf Tournament registration begins at 11:30 a.m. The Shotgun Start will be at 1:00 p.m. Cost is $85 per golfer and $340 per team. Sponsorship is available for tee sponsor signs, flag sponsors, cart sponsors, and food & beverage. For more information contact Rob Alt at 302-420-3031 or email@example.com
Paint, Clay and Dirt
On Going until Friday, Apr. 22, 2011
135 East Main Street
An open exhibition of works using traditional and innovative materials. Artists Tommy and Paula Torres will be featured in the front gallery. For more information contact 410-392-5740.
SAVE THE DATE!
Paint the Town Purple
Saturday, April 23rd - Friday, May 6, 2011
Sat. April 23rd –
Cecil Village Shoppes on Bridge St. Elkton will hold a ‘Purple is for Hope’ theme Car Show. Purple Decorations, Live Music and a percentage of business sales will benefit the American Cancer Society.
Thurs. April 28th –
Elkton Car Show hosts the ‘Purple is for Hope’ theme by featuring purple cars, purple trophies and if you look up and down Main Street you’ll see the color purple prominently featured, from our light posts to the windows of local businesses. When you stop in at a local merchant be sure to spread some ‘Hope’ of your own by lightening your load of loose change and adding to the American Cancer Society – Donation Canisters.
First Friday, May 6th –
Let’s ALL Paint This Town Purple Day! Be a part of the ‘Purple Wave’
- 1-8pm Chalk Walk – Relay For Life Teams, Cancer Survivors, Members of the Business Community, Members of the Community at large, Neighbors, Friends, Families… ANYONE who wants to take part in the ‘Paint the Town Purple Chalk Walk’ need only sign-up at the registration table located at the corner of North & Main Streets to receive their designated area of sidewalk and their Free chalk. Join us in making a statement for ‘Hope’ on the sidewalks in Elkton.
- Live Music – What’s a party without a good back-beat? Enjoy live music from 1-8pm provided by these talented local musicians: Kona Shame, Box Turtle Bob and Kenny Jones & Friends.
- Tree of Hope – A dedication ceremony will take place at 5:00pm at the corner of North & Main Streets when town officials will tie the first ribbons to our ‘Tree of Hope.’ The tree stands as a significant reminder to those lives lost to cancer. Anyone who wishes to remember a loved one can add their ribbon to the tree. (Ribbons will be provided.)
- ‘Hope Theme Window Displays’ – Local merchants will take part in creating window displays to coincide with the ‘Hope’ theme. Cancer survivors will be voting on the most creative display
- Art Space on Main – Kids Happy Hour will include a ‘Purple means Hope’ themed project. The fee per child is $25, $5 of which will be donated to the American Cancer Society. Kids Happy Hour includes the fee for the art project, pizza & soda. Pre-registration is required by 3:00pm on Fri. May 6th. For more information contact Art Space on Main (410) 620-2464.
- Brother’s Pizza – Grab a slice, or MORE while you’re downtown… Brother’s will be donating 15% of their sales during First Friday to the American Cancer Society.
- Dvah's Fasion Boutique - Located in Cecil Village Shoppes on Bridge St. DVAH's will be donated 10% of their sales on purple wigs to the American Cancer Society.
- Elkton Florist – Will provide purple long stem roses to the first 50 customers and will donate 20% of their sales during First Friday to The American Cancer Society. Send a bouquet to spread the theme of ‘Hope.’
- Lyon’s Pharmacy – Enjoy a refreshing taste of ‘Hope’ at Lyon’s Pharmacy where they’ll be serving up PURPLE Milkshakes, YUM!!! – If you’re wearing Purple, you’ll receive a discount!
- The Palette & The Page – The 14 artists who are currently a part of ‘The Palette & The Page’ will be showing in the ‘Gallery Room.’ With each artist, creating in their particular medium, works of art in the theme of ‘Purple Means Hope.’ Live Music and refreshments will also be on hand.
Downtown Elkton Classic Car Show
Thursday, April 28, 2011
North & Main Streets
Join us for the first Downtown Elkton Car Show of 2011. We will be giving away door prizes and trophies. We will be having 50/50’s, live entertainment by Key Largo (rock, oldies, etc.) and food will be available to purchase. No cost to register. Cars can start parking after 3 PM. For more information contact the Elkton Chamber & Alliance at 410-398-5076.